General Information: The Community Network Specialist's basic duties include installing, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing the Douglas County Community Network (DCCN) infrastructure. The successful applicant will work under the supervision of the Distribution Operations Supervisor or his designee. This position is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and there is a one year probationary period associated with this position.
Perform all duties in a safe and proficient manner in accordance with policy and procedure
Install, maintain and repair DCCN wireless communication systems
Climb ladders as necessary to mount network and communication equipment
Install and maintain fiber optic and network cables
Install and maintain DCCN community network electronic equipment
Test and troubleshoot DCCN equipment and communication cable
Operate trucks and other equipment typically used in utility communication operations
May Operate District vehicles equipped with a GPS device that monitors vehicle location
Other duties may be assigned
Successful applicants must have:
Satisfactory completion of high school education or equivalent
Ability to interact with co-workers, vendors, and the public in a positive manner
Work experience demonstrating ability to install, maintain, and repair communications equipment
Ability to understand engineering drawings and diagrams
Ability to write complete and accurate reports describing equipment or trouble investigations and fixes
Capability of following directions and working in compliance with established guidelines
Aptitude working with computers, communications systems, and data processing equipment
Ability to function cooperatively in a team environment
Applicants must be able to travel to, and work at, remote sites in all types of outdoor weather
A high degree of self-motivation
Ability to work alone or with others in a wide variety of job disciplines
Current First Aid/CPR certification and flagging card, or be willing to obtain them in a timely manner
Current Washington State Driver License, CDL endorsement is a plus
Ability to distinguish basic colors
Ability to repeatedly lift heavy objects, sometimes weighing up to 75 pounds
Ability to work in elevated areas, climb ladders, stairs, and structures and walk over uneven surfaces
Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Must have a full range of hearing and sight for personal safety
- Safety: Demonstrates that safety is the top priority when performing any job duty or task and prioritizes personal safety and the safety of co-workers and the public.
- Productivity: Must be able to demonstrate completion of assigned tasks through work product and documentation. This will include evidence that clearly shows work was completed on time and with above average quality.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual respect with all co-workers.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts when redirected and develops methods to achieve results while still remaining accountable to deadlines.
- Professionalism: Interact daily with others in a professional manner. Treats others with respect while performing with integrity, honesty and professionalism.
- Communication: Participate constructively in open communications within and between departments while helping to resolve issues and difficult situations in ways that reduce conflict and maintain good working relationships.
- Performance: Continually seek to improve work performance and take an active part in generating a mutually supportive environment.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of work and acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.