Hatchery Specialists will work at the direction of the Hatchery Supervisor to complete all aspects of fish production and rearing at the District's fish hatcheries. Duties associated with this position include broodstock collection, holding and spawning, incubation, larval and juvenile fish production and general fish husbandry including cleaning, feeding and application of treatments, quantification of growth and survival, conversion rates, marking and planting. Selected candidate must establish residence within a 20 minute response time to the Wells Hatchery.
- Participate in fish culture activities including feeding, cleaning, grading, collecting, counting, treating, marking and planting various anadromous and resident cold-water fish species including: spring Chinook, summer/fall Chinook, Coho, steelhead, white sturgeon and rainbow trout.
- Participate in hatchery maintenance for routine and non-routine projects, including coordinating with other District departments, as necessary.
- Ability to work in a stand-by status at assigned times in order to respond to hatchery needs after hours and on weekends.
- Ability to wear a respirator and pass a respirator fit test.
- Work respectfully and cooperatively with a diverse groups of people and maintain professional interactions at all times in the workplace
- Ensure compliance with all District policies
- Adhere to the District's Safety Policy and Procedures
- Employees with a Commercial Driver's License must participate in DOT alcohol and drug testing, including marijuana, in compliance with FMCSA regulations
- Other duties may be assigned
- Operate District vehicles which may be equipped with a GPS device that monitors vehicle location
Due to the nature and scope of the essential functions, the importance of personal interactions between this position and employees, and the availability of job-related tools, equipment and resources at work, performance of the essential functions requires regular, consistent, on-site attendance while working independently and with others.
- Knowledge of fish culture is required
- Competent in spreadsheet and database usage
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Experience in using SCADA or similar systems is preferred
- Valid Washington State Driver License and evidence of good driving record. Candidates with a Class B CDL Driver's License with tanker and air brake endorsements are preferred.
Education and Experience:
An Associate's Degree in Fisheries and/or Aquaculture is required. A Bachelor's Degree in fisheries, wildlife management or other similar natural resources field is preferred but not required. A combination of education and hatchery related work experience may be considered for candidates without an Associate's Degree.
This position requires the ability to perform the following physical activities with or without reasonable accommodation:
Applicants must be capable of working in of working in a hatchery environment with exposure to outdoor weather, wet conditions and temperature extremes. Must be able to walk on uneven terrain, climb ladders and stairwells, and adapt to noisy conditions. Applicant must have full auditory and visual capability in order to allow the applicant to safely work in a fish production environment. Must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly during a work day.
This is a regular, full-time position. This is an administrative position and is therefore NOT by the collective bargaining agreement.
In addition to a competitive salary commensurate with experience, employees of Douglas County PUD enjoy the following benefits: two medical insurance plan options, vision insurance, dental insurance, health reimbursement account, short and long term disability insurance, life insurance, 8 paid holidays per year plus 4 floating holidays, a personal leave account, deferred compensation plan, and membership in the Washington State PERS pension plan.
Successful applicants will be subject to a post-offer pre-employment drug screening and criminal background check. A final offer of employment will be conditioned upon the results of these tests. There is a one-year probationary period associated with this position.
To apply, please submit the resume cover sheet, your cover letter, and resume as outlined below.