First Review Date: Monday August 9, 2021
The Software Developer is responsible for developing software and system integrations to meet District operational needs. The Software Developer will develop and support technical solutions using a variety of platforms and languages supporting multiple departments.
This position is subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Create, update, support, and test custom software solutions throughout the software lifecycle.
- Full stack development with languages, frameworks, and technologies primarily focused towards web development.
- Develop reusable structures and code patterns that encapsulate aspects of the application subject to change.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop effective software solutions. Gain domain knowledge and document acquired knowledge central to developed systems.
- Train and support system users. Work to resolve user problems with existing software solutions.
- Respond to occasional off hours support calls for mission critical, real-time, software systems.
- Learn new programming languages, frameworks, technologies and development techniques.
- Stay current on security best practices and develop utilizing the latest security best practices.
- Support the District's mission and value statements in the performance of job duties.
- Work respectfully and cooperatively with diverse groups of people and maintain professional interactions at all times in the workplace.
- Ensure compliance with all District policies.
- Adhere to the District's Safety Policy and Procedures.
- Operate District vehicles that may be equipped with a GPS device that monitors vehicle location while conducting business on behalf of the District.
- Other duties as assigned.
Due to the nature and scope of the essential functions, the importance of personal interactions between this position, employees, customers, and other members of the public, and the availability of job-related tools, equipment and resources at work, performance of the essential functions requires regular, consistent, on-site attendance while working independently and with others.
- Understanding of software development concepts and the ability to leverage them to design and develop systems spanning multiple technologies.
- Strong ability to learn new development languages, frameworks, methods and techniques.
- Proficient at troubleshooting, debugging, diagnosing, and resolving system errors.
- Competency with software design patterns, ability to analyze algorithm performance, and code refactoring.
- Experience with DevOps technologies (e.g. automated deployments, reproducible builds, logging, source control, alerts, containers, virtual machines).
- Experience working with multiple server operating systems such as Linux and Windows.
- Ability to implement secure operating system configurations for deployed software.
- Understanding of database concepts.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Must have a self-starter attitude and the ability to apply good judgement and make decisions independently.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Business with an emphasis in Management Information Systems or a related field is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Safety: Demonstrates that safety is the top priority when performing any job duty or task; prioritizes personal safety and the safety of co-workers and the public.
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Productivity: Is able to demonstrate completion of assigned tasks through work product and documentation. This will include evidence that clearly shows work was completed on time and with above average quality.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual respect with all co-workers.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts when redirected and develops methods to achieve results and remain accountable
Professionalism: Interact daily with others in a professional manner. Treat others and be treated with respect; perform with integrity, honesty and professionalism; participate constructively in open communication; help to resolve issues and difficult situations in ways that reduce conflict and maintain good working relationships; improve work performance and take an active part in generating a mutually supportive environment. Recognize that diversity is an asset and value cultural, physical and professional differences
A valid driver's license and proof of good driving record is required for this position (will be verified upon job offer). Out-of-state candidates must acquire a Washington State driver's license within 30 days of employment.
This position is performed in an office setting and requires the ability to sit and/or stand at a computer for long periods and perform repetitive hand or arm motions. Good manual dexterity is required for the use of common office equipment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Douglas County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District's critical physical and/or cyber assets.