Prepare Your Home For Winter Heating
Your heating system is the big home energy user during the winter months. As winter is just around the corner, take time to think about saving money.
• Have your heating system serviced and replace filters if needed.
• Check the insulation level in your attic, add more if you can see the tops of the floor joists.
• Insulate your water heater and hot water pipes.
• Clean the chimney and keep the damper closed when not in use.
• Check the weather stripping around your doors and windows, replace it if necessary.
• Close your drapes in the evening to keep in the heat.
• Check to see that your heat registers are not covered.
• Close foundation vents for winter. If your vents do not close, taping a piece of plastic on the outside will help considerably.
• Lower your thermostat a few degrees and put on a sweater.