Wells Hydroelectric Project FERC License No. 2149
The goal of the Bull Trout Management Plan (BTMP) is to identify, monitor, and address impacts, if any, on bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) resulting from the Wells Hydroelectric Project (Wells Project or Project) in a manner consistent with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Bull Trout Recovery Plan and the terms of the Section 7 Incidental Take Statement. This BTMP is intended to continue the implementation of management activities to protect bull trout during the new license term in a manner consistent with the original Wells Bull Trout Monitoring and Management Plan.
The BTMP is designed to meet the following objectives:
- Operate the upstream fishways and downstream bypass systems in a manner consistent with the HCP
- Identify any adverse Project-related impacts on adult and sub-adult bull trout passage
- Implement reasonable and appropriate options to modify upstream fishway, downstream bypass, or operations if adverse impacts on bull trout are identified and evaluate the effectiveness of these measures
- Periodically monitor for bull trout entrapment or stranding during low Wells Reservoir elevations
- Participate in the development and implementation of the USFWS Bull Trout Recovery Plan including information exchange and genetic analysis. Should bull trout be delisted, the Aquatic SWG will re-evaluate the needs and objectives of the BTMP
- Identify any adverse impacts of Project-related hatchery operations on adult and sub-adult bull trout.
USFWS Biological Opinion March 2012